Hong Kong, Jan 16th 2013
1. Wide shot of Andy Lau, actor, with host of the press conference
2. Mid shot of Lau
3. Wide shot of Lau on stage
4. Cutaway shot photographers
5. Lau posing for photos in front of a signage board with names of the jury members
6. Lau signing board
7. Cutaway photographers
8. SOUNDBITE (Cantonese) Andy Lau, actor, announcing nominee in the Best Film category (followed by the voice of the host of the ceremony announcing nominees in English):
“Lastly, we’re announcing the nominees of the Best Film category. I don’t have to read the names. From Mainland China, ‘Drug War’. From India, ‘Gangs of Wasseypur’ Part 1 & 2. Mainland China, ‘Mystery’. Japan, ‘Outrage Beyond’. South Korea, ‘Pieta’.”
9. Lau toasting on stage with the Asian Film Awards nomination committee members
10. SOUNDBITE (Mandarin), Andy Lau, actor, on serving as the Asian Film Award’s jury president after last year’s Golden Horse Award:
“I really know what to do (as the jury president) this time. I think this time around, the schedule is not as tight. I’ll have plenty of time to watch the films.The biggest problem is to communicate with the jury members from different parts of Asia. Unlike the Golden Horse Award, where we can sit down and discuss, and then vote. I think this time, after we watch the film, we will vote right away. So I need to start the conversation with them early. It’s different but I think I will learn a lot.”
11. Wide of Lau during photo call
12. Close up Lau
13. SOUNDBITE (Mandarin) Andy Lau, actor, on the nominated films this year:
“There are films from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan that I’ve already watched. I can say that their nominations are well deserved. There are some other films that I haven’t watched before. The films from other parts of Asia. I think after I watch them, then I can comment further on them.”
14. Tilt up Lau
15. Cutaway photographers
16. SOUNDBITE (Mandarin) Andy Lau, on shooting a new action film:
“I have been shooting for a long time in Hong Kong on this film project, the longest in over 10 years. I think this is an explosive film that we haven’t seen in a while. I hope I do a good job on it.”
17. Wide shot of Lau speaking to print press
18. Mid shot of Lau
ANDY LAU ANNOUNCES AFA NOMINATIONS
Andy Lau was on hand to announce this year’s nominations for the 7th annual Asian Film Awards (AFA) in Hong Kong, Wednesday (16 JAN 2013).
As newly appointed Jury President, the actor will lead a panel of Asian film experts to select the winners for the awards.
This year, leading the nominations in the 14 categories are “Mystery” from China, and “Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time” from South Korea. Both films are up for 6 awards.
“Mystery” is nominated in the Best Film, Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Newcomer categories. “Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time” is up for Best Actor, Best Newcomer, Best Supporting Actor and Best Screenwriter awards.
“Gangs of Wasseypur” Part 1 & 2 from India, “The Last Supper” from China, “Rhino Season” from Iraqi Kurdistan / Turkey, and “Outrage Beyond” from Japan all share 4 nominations.
The total of 70 nominees includes 30 films from 9 Asian countries. This year, South Korea, which had films in 16 categories, received the most nominations of all the Asian countries.
Jury President Andy Lau knows that he has a tough job ahead of him. However, he believes his experience as Jury President of last year’s Golden Horse Award has prepared him for the challenge.
“I really know what to do (as the jury president) this time,” he said.
Lau said that he’s already watched some of the films from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, and said their nominations are “well deserved.”
You can license this story through AP Archive: